Fixing the iRiver H10 20GB MP3 Player
I decided to buy a new toy for myself this weekend. The product: iriver's H10 20GB MP3 Player. I arrived at home and charged it up only to turn it on and realize that the blasted thing would not work out of the box. I struggled for three hours searching online, upgrading firmware, and sitting on the phone with tech support, all with the same outcome: a brick which would could not get past a screen which says "BOOT 1.01 MTP Initialize." In frustration I cried out, but unfortunately for me, Staples was closed by the time I decided to return it. In one last-ditch effort, I scoured the interweb and found instructions for getting my $200 paperweight to play music.
WARNING: This information was written in 2006 and is OBVIOUSLY dated. Follow these instructions at your own risk!!!
Steps for Repairing my iriver H10 20GB MP3 Player
- Attach the player to the PC via the USB cord.
- Press the reset button with a paperclip.
- While holding down the O button, power on the device. "USB Connected" is displayed on the screen.
- In My Computer, there is a new Hard Drive for the H10. Right-click the icon and select Format.
- Select FAT32 and Select Quick Format. Format the device.
- Download the H10 Upgrade utility. The site states that this does not work for the 20GB model, BUT THEY ARE LYING (partially).
- Run the firmware Upgrade utility. It had some problems, and I needed to run it a few times to get it to completely download the firmware upgrade.
- hen the process is done, unplug the iriver, and it will reboot 2 or 3 times.
- Download the latest MTP Updater. Follow the updating instructions on the site.
After following these instructions, I had a working H10. If you find this useful, leave me a little message.
Motomacomments powered by Disqus